Friday, January 9, 2015

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: winter in New York City


Let's go back to February 2013, shall we? Because everybody is talking about a recent snowfall that we were awaiting so impatiently, I thought it would be a good idea to come back to these photos from New York City.

It was Sunday almost two years ago. A few of my Polish friends met in the city and spent hours wandering the streets of Manhattan and Brooklyn until we could no longer walk. I remember getting lost somewhere in between Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridge and just wishing for a taxi to drive us back to the island. Despite the cold, it was a beautiful day and I have fond memories of that day. Take a look!



Flatiron building.


Plenty of reasons to smile. Sunshine, a good friend beside me, coffee and the beauty of New York.
How could I ask for more?



These boots were a total bargain, I remember finding them at Forever 21 for just $15! It was a last pair and in my size, and well, these kind of things don't happen too often ;) Win win!




Hello there, Empire State Building.


Bedford Avenue. Greenpoint. Brooklyn.


I remember reading about this Polish restaurant on one of my favorite blogs. Ula from www.adamantwanderer.com used to live in New York City and is my major inspiration when it comes to looking for good food (and not only) spots in the city. Łomżynianka did not disappoint and it happened to be a nice reminder of what I left at home. 




Polish comfort food is a wonderful idea to indulge on a cold winter day. A soup is one of the meals every Polish household serves as a starter before the main course. We've got some of the heartiest soups you can imagine, so no wonder why you feel so stuffed after you finish the second meal. This one is żurek - a sour rye soup. The leaven made of fermented rye flour is an essential ingredient. We usually also add kiełbasa and a hard boiled egg to it and eat it with a piece of bread.


Sunday's best: mashed potatoes and a chicken cutlet are a staple in Polish cuisine. This is basically what every Polish family would eat at least once a week, especially on Sundays :)



The restaurant is rather small but really cozy. I would definitely recommend you checking it out if you're looking for a good Polish food experience. Plus if you're in the area, Greenpoint has plenty of other vendors that will provide you with even more goodies from my home country.


LOMZYNIANKA
646 Manhattan Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222



Manhattan seen from East River Park. I remember we all felt as if we found some secret garden once we entered the park. There was nobody else there, no other footprints on the snow and it had this little BIG secret, a killer view on Manhattan. Even though it's a very popular hangout spot, at that moment it was cool to claim it as our own space.



Manhattan seen from umm well, Manhattan Bridge :) At that point we were all exhausted and only dreamt about being rescued by a taxi driver.






Sunset aaaaand that's a wrap. See you soon, New York!



2 comments:

  1. wow, awesome photos! Paulina, thank you so much for sharing!
    I love snow + sunshine <3 Here in Seattle area we don't really have snow :(
    btw the polish food looks delicious!
    xoxo
    Lara

    http://www.pepperandstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, I would love us to exchange places for a while so you can get your sunshine and snow and I get to see the other side of the country haha!
      Thank you for stopping by!
      Have a great weekend :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...