Saturday, January 17, 2015

NASHVILLE TRAVEL DIARY: Food


So here's the thing. I love food, trying out new meals and seeing how tastes change from state to state. I also love sharing my discoveries with you. The only problem, though... is that usually I get completely lost and excited whenever there's a plate with some deliciousness going on in front of me that I forget to capture the moment before I dig in. Or I forget to capture it completely. Or sometimes, I admit, I just don't want to disturb others and make a fool out of myself by making them wait, so I can take a picture. ORrrrr, since I'm always on a budget when traveling, many times I have to resort to the good old CHEAP fast food. Guilty as charged! Nevertheless, the few pictures I do have, I will share. Take a look.


First thing I tried out after we arrived in Nashville was this beer cake. It was made by our host Stephen, and well... I love sweets and to me it was a perfect welcome breakfast I could ask for.


A Southern staple: biscuits. Here, again, made by our friend Stephen. Nothing better than trying out new things right from our temporary home.


Speaking of biscuits, here's a hoosier cabinet. It originated in early 20th century and stayed popular until 1920's, when modern kitchens started to use built-in cabinets. If you ask me, it was the first thing I noticed when I walked into my friends house, it's so special. As you can see, hoosier can be used not only for baking and storing kitchen supplies, you can also transform it into an alcohol storage. Talking about being original :)


Nashville was also the first time I tried pickle chips (seen above) and green fried tomatoes (seen below).


Gorgonzola stuffed meatloaf with asparagus, tomatoes and mashed potatoes. 


Now speaking of this meal, I need to mention something called meat and three, because it's a popular meal throughout the Mid-South, and Nashville is its capital. What is it? Just how you can see in the above picture (which may not be the best example of it but still), the MEAT part is what you choose from a selection of 3-6 choices including fried chicken, meatloaf, country ham, beef, steak or pork chop. THREE are your side dishes like vegetables, potatoes or macaroni and cheese, creamed corn, spaghetti. Often served with cornbread and sweet tea. Yuuuum!

So here it is, a short recap of our food experience in Nashville! This is also the last post on the Music City. Next up, another food diary - MEMPHIS, Tenn., and the best BBQ RIBS I've ever had! So stay tuned.


Have a great weekend!



1 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing beauty! That "meat and three" looks so yummy :)
    xoxo Lara

    http://www.pepperandstyle.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...